Friday, July 9, 2010

Momentum Climbing Gym

My sister Rachel is a big climber. She thought it would be fun to show Ella and I the ropes-literally. We went to Momentum indoor climbing gym in Sandy. It is actually a world class gym and you can see why when you first walk in. It is amazing! They even have special climbing walls for kids! Ella had been to the gym last year for a friend's birthday party and we knew we had to come back.



Ella loved all the long ropes everywhere.



All harnessed up with Auntie Rachel. Ella was super excited. We had been trying to make this climbing adventure happen for a couple of weeks and finally got the scheduling to work out.



After Rachel showed me how to belay we were ready to climb. Ella insisted on going first.



Rachel explained to Ella how safe climbing was. She showed Ella that she could let go at any point and she would not fall. So she went limp to test that claim. Good thing Rach was on her game.



Ella started on a kids wall that had the letters A-Z going up the wall., Z being at the top. After a short tutorial Ella was ready to go for it. She saw the letters and exclaimed that she was going to make it to "J for Grandma Judi and K for Grandpa Kyle!" Rachel and I just smiled thinking that she would quit after G for give up. But that little girl was totally in her element. She was a natural. Rachel informed me that her technique was excellent and she seemed to have no fear of heights! Must have inherited that from her father.



Then Ella stopped and decided to test Rachel's claim again. It was so much fun that she decided to hang there for a bit.



Back to business. She easily passed the G and was soon at K. We thought for sure that she would stop, having reached her goal. Nope, mid climb she set a new goal of making it to R for Rebecca and Rob and S for Seth. Rach and I started to get pretty excited because she was doing amazingly well. She obviously felt comfortable and every now and then she would let go and hang there for a breather. Then she would keep right on going.



This is Ella reaching the S. It was very high up.



I think Ella was getting tired because she stopped and debated whether or not to go on. I asked if she wanted to come down and she said "No I want to get to Z!" But I think she was getting tired and wondering how she was going to get down because soon after that she asked to come down. Rachel explained how to push against the wall with her feet as she lowered her down.



Here she is coming down like a pro. We assured her that she would get another attempt after Rachel and I had turns.



Here's a shot of one section of the gym. After Rachel did some serious climbing and I got some belay practice I had to attempt the alphabet wall. The climb was easy because the holds were very close together but the height honestly terrified me. I knew that I couldn't fall but it just went against every natural instinct I have. I also knew that if I didn't at least make it to the S Rachel would make fun of me. Plus how could I tell Ella to go for it if I couldn't? So I made it to the Z and Rachel made me touch the bar at the top. Then I had to completely go against my instincts and let go entirely so Rachel could lower me down. Sorry no picture of me reaching the top. Rachel was holding my life in her hands and Ella isn't exactly handy with the camera. But you can ask Rachel if you don't believe me.



Here's Ella in her second attempt. She knocked the socks off of all the other climbers. They were cheering her on and asking how old she was. Unfortunately she reached the V and then had to come down. In her defense I remember that particular part. It is a bit tricky because it is the only spot that doesn't have very good holds. We will definitely be coming back so Ella can conquer her wall.



This was my attempt at a 5.7 I believe. It was ridiculously hard and scary. Plus my technique was not great and my forearms were burning so hard that I barely made it half way up. Next time I will make it all the way, even if I have to stay up there all day!

Thanks for your help and expertise Rachel we had a great time!

No comments: